The Telegram app for Windows gives you access to your messages, groups, channels, bots and other advantages of the mobile app. As Telegram prioritizes your privacy, the only thing you will not see there are your secret chats … so that they remain secret on your mobile. You never know who can enter your PC!
- Security and privacy– Private and group chats (in the cloud) are protected by the server-client encryption layer. You can opt for an additional layer of end-to-end encryption on secret chats, which cannot be forwarded, are not part of the Telegram cloud or leave a trace on servers.
- Automatic sync: it is possible to use Telegram on all your devices at the same time thanks to the automatic synchronization of all sessions. So you can resume conversations from private and group chats, which are in the cloud. However, secret chats are only available from the mobile app.
- Sending large files: Telegram allows you to share files of any format (ZIP, MP3, DOC, PDF, etc.) up to 2 GB and access them from any device.
- Unlimited storage– A great advantage of the cloud service is that you can save unlimited files, as long as their size does not exceed 2 GB. In this article we tell you how to store files in Telegram
- Groups– Create closed or public groups of up to 200,000 people. Use them to chat with friends, family, your work team, or a larger community. Your posts or those of the administrators can be made on behalf of the group if you prefer to protect your identity and go anonymity. Furthermore, it is possible to control whether new participants have access to previous messages or not.
- Broadcast channels: whether public or private, these allow messages to be broadcast to an unlimited number of subscribers. It is an excellent medium to receive information on various topics. We have prepared a guide to tell you how to search for channels on Telegram.
- Bots: also called ‘chatbots’, they are tools that provide you with different services with automatic responses. Discover our selection of the best Telegram bots.
- Desktop Notifications: even if you close the Telegram window, you will receive notifications of your new messages, calls, etc.
How does it work?
After downloading and installing Telegram for PC, you can log in by linking your mobile in two ways: by entering your phone number and the code you receive by text message (SMS) or by scanning the QR code on the desktop app. Right away, you will be able to start using Telegram on your computer and you will see all your conversations and files sent, except for secret chats, whose use is exclusively for the mobile app. Once you log in, you will no longer need your smartphone to use Telegram on your PC.
If you wish, it is also possible to transfer your WhatsApp chats to Telegram and see the contact list to find out who already uses the instant messaging service.
Downloading and using Telegram are completely free and the company notes that all current features will remain free forever. New premium features are expected in 2021 only for business teams or super users.
Is Telegram or WhatsApp better?
Telegram claims that its encryption is faster and more secure than that of WhatsApp on its website. This is because its MTProto encryption protocol works independently of the server. Also, chats and secret calls do not log on the servers.
Another advantage of Telegram is that it allows you to save your multimedia files in the service’s cloud without taking up space on your computer. If you want to know more, we will tell you in detail the differences between Telegram and WhatsApp.
Telegram already has more than 500 million active users per month. However, if you are not convinced, we will prepare an article with several alternatives other than WhatsApp.
- Operating system: Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7.
- Storage: 77.7 MB available space.
Telegram for PC is also available for Android.